Tuesday, June 28, 2011

...from Mark #19 - The Voices Of Jordan - It's Getting Late (1960)

I've been beavering away lately on a couple of Gospel compilations, which will hopefully be released by the end of the year. The problem I have with most Gospel comps is that the approach is always a bit dry and academic and, let's face facts, reverential. There are lots of fine one's out there but I haven't found many fun ones, if you know what I mean. 



The two volumes I've done concentrate on that screaming wild abandon in the spirit of the lord style, that I guess was a major part of a touring groups performance but it seems, proportionally at least, relatively rarely put on wax.  Like this:

The vast majority are quartet recordings like the above that haven't been on CD anywhere ever, but there were a couple that I wouldn't have been happy without including, like this, the utterly magnificent Utah Smith:

and finally, for those gospel party-timers amongst you, Reverend Kelsey and his congregation:

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these, Mark. I especially enjoyed "It's Getting Late." Would you have any interest in looking at my black gospel blog? It's called "Bless My Bones" - if so, here is the link:

    http://blessmybones.blogspot.com/
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What label did the Voices of Jordan record for? Is your compilation being released on Ace? I'll definitely be purchasing a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think anyone liking this post should be heading over to the bless my bones site right now. And for even deeper diggers, lots of useless yet utterly indispensable information can be found here

    http://www.recordconnexion.nl/labels.htm

    The Voices Of Jordan released 4 singles for Gospel between 1960/2, all great too.
    The comp will be on a relatively new label called VeeTone. As you may well know, many of the great gospel labels are unlicenseable , so these are all from my own 45s/78s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for taking a look at Bless My Bones and for the recommendation. You might find this resource interesting as well:

    http://bap-tizum.com/op/78

    It's full of label scans of 45s, 78s and LPs - along with mp3s for each one. Cheers, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased to have found this blog. I've been trying to be more music-literate lately but it's so hard to know where to start and people keep telling me all the good music was made before I was born which doesn't help. I feel this is a step in the right direction, vastly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete