Friday, March 18, 2011

...from Mark #6 - Bobby Charles - I Hope (1964)

Charlie Gillett died a year ago this week, a man who appears to have been an inspiration to everyone that met him, and even more who didn't.

Charlie had a reputation as an open-minded individual, oftentimes a rather ill deserved reputation it turned out. Certainly broad-minded when it came to his tastes, Charlie happily suffered from the same petty little judgements as the rest of us; quite often the reason he didn't like a song, or artist, or style was simply because he'd decided not to. As someone once described him to me ' perfectly rounded, with edges'.  We shared a lot of music privately over the years and it was a rare and hard earned delight when I got one through to the back of Charlie’s net.

The last time I saw him was the day Bobby Charles died. Charlie was leaving hospital for the weekend and was in such high spirits, I didn't have the heart to tell him. The next week I sent him this, which had somehow escaped his attention.  We talked and emailed tracks a lot over the next few months, but this is the last one I remember him allowing in, as it were.  I miss him terribly and you would too.

1 comment: